The City of Kansas City, Mo., partnered with Kansas City Power & Light (KCPL) to install electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at six downtown, city-owned parking lots and garages.
According to the city, these charging stations are designed to charge a vehicle from 25% battery capacity to full charge in four to six hours. Each site will have between three and six charging stations, each capable of charging two vehicles at a time.
The new charging stations are located at the following facilities:
- JE Dunn Parking Garage (1001 Locust St.);
- Wolf Parking Garage (1120 Oak St.);
- Cosentino’s Parking Garage (1220 Walnut St.);
- President’s Hotel Parking Garage (1398 Main St.);
- KC Live Parking Garage (151 E. 13th St.); and
- 300 Wyandotte Parking Garage.
The city adds that additional installations are planned at selected Parks and Recreation community centers: Loose Park, the Kansas City Zoo, Starlight Theater, the Health Department parking lots, the Arts District and the Municipal Auditorium Plaza parking garages.
KCPL and the city assert they are providing these stations to residents free of charge until 2017.